“How’s the pressure?”
It shouldn’t be the first question you have to answer. As Massage and Myotherapists it’s a question we ask a lot, and because massage is all about you, you can’t get the answer wrong. Our aim is to work with you not on you.
There are so many different styles of massage and different techniques that we use depending on what we believe you need. What we believe is, or at least should be based on our initial conversation or interview with you. We will do our best to get a thorough understanding of your needs during this interview so please, take this opportunity to share as much information as you think is necessary to help us get it right for you. It is surprising how many people start taking their clothes off as soon as they walk into the room. We are not mind readers, and we don’t do “cookie cutter” routine massage. We tailor our treatment to you, so a short conversation is going to help you get quality even if you miss a couple of minutes of quantity.
Here’s some things that are really helpful for us to know as Therapists.
- Have you had massage before? If so, what type? (relaxation, therapeutic, remedial, deep tissue)
- What is the reason for your visit? (injury recovery, stress release, better quality of life, better movement)
- Are you feeling fit and healthy?
- Do you have a history of illness or injury that could affect your treatment? (Fibromyalgia, disc herniation, Haemophilia etc.)
- Have you had a tough week? (this can have a massive effect on your resilience)
- Do you know the names of techniques that have worked for you before? (Myofascial Release, Trigger Point Therapy, Dry Needling, Cupping, Mobilisations etc.)
These are some of the basics we’d like to know before we start further assessment or treatment, and can have a massive impact on how much you get from our session.
All going well we should only have to ask you about the pressure once or twice at most as we’ll already have an understanding of your needs and expectations.
The end of a massage is not the time to tell us our pressure was not right. Yes, it did happen once but there was not much I could do about it by then.
So, if we haven’t got it right for you, please tell us straight away.
The thing is, we are here to work with you to achieve your goals. So a few extra minutes of interview time at the beginning can make the difference between an average session and an AMAZING session!
Our aim is for you to walk out the door feeling better!